The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA) believes that investing in our communities and our youth will help our young residents get on the path to a self-sufficient future. Kids Progress Inc. (501c3), HACLA’s non-profit, provides scholarships to encourage students to pursue higher education following high school. The program is open to public housing residents that are high school graduating seniors who will be attending a vocational, technical school, two-year community college or four-year University in the fall of 2018.
Scholarships of $500 - $1,000 will be awarded to selected graduating high school students.
Selected scholarship recipients must participate in a one-day workshop which includes a focus group session.
1. Applicants must be HACLA public housing residents who will be graduating from an accredited public, charter or private high schools in 2018.
2. Applicants must enroll full-time into vocational, technical school, community college or a four-year college/university beginning the 2018 fall semester/quarter.
3. High school graduates must have an overall grade point average of at least 2.5
4. Applicants must have demonstrated strong community involvement.
5. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal residents.
6. Applicants must have a demonstrated financial need.
7. Children or dependents of elected or appointed officials are not eligible.
8. Children or dependents of HACLA employees are not eligible.
SELECTION AND VERIFICATION PROCESS
Representatives of HACLA and KPI to identify and select scholarship recipients. The Housing Authority has the final responsibility for selecting recipients, and decisions of the agency are final.
The scholarship will be awarded for the 2018 fall semester/quarter, and it will be issued upon receipt of verification of full-time enrollment. Verification is due and must be received as soon as a student is enrolled, and in any event not later than September 1, 2018 (postmarks not accepted).The HACLA will follow-up with scholarship recipients to provide additional information regarding their awards.
1. HACLA retains the right to change or terminate this program at any time, without notice.
2. HACLA is not responsible for lost applications, lost verification of enrollment, or information or materials misplaced or delayed through the mail or other delivery processes.
3. Once submitted, all information and materials become the property of HACLA, and will not be returned. All information will be kept confidential.
4. Children of employees of HACLA are not eligible.
5. Children of elected or appointed local, county and state officials are not eligible.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Carefully complete the application, listing all pertinent facts relating to your personal and academic achievements. Additional sheets of paper may be attached.
2. Request a copy of your official transcript of grades from your school.
3. Provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher.
4. Enclose with your application a recent photo of yourself, such as your school photo, preferably a color headshot measuring at least 3”x 5.” This photo may be used in marketing collateral if you are selected as a recipient.
5. Provide an acceptance letter from the college/university that you will be attending this fall.
6. Return the completed application and all other information including the transcript and photo to a designated HACLA employee listed on the application. Applications must be returned no later than JUNE 1, 2018 unless otherwise requested by written notice from the representative of HACLA.
7. For additional information, please contact your program representative listed on the application.
RELEASE REGARDING PHOTOS OF APPLICANT
By applying for this scholarship, the applicant and/or parent/guardian irrevocably release and grant the Housing Authority any residual, moral or legal rights in and to the photographs, images or pictures, including all negatives or forms of media used, taken by either of them in connection with this scholarship application.
The utilization rights granted hereby shall include all future rights of use by HACLA (including its parent, subsidiaries and affiliates), and its advertising representatives, at any time hereafter. Such uses may include various advertising, training, publicity, promotional and other uses regarding HACLA and its activities, and may appear in any form of media — including print, video, motion picture, still photographs, Internet postings and other electronic formats, or be otherwise reproduced.
Materials relating to the applicant may be combined with other materials related to such uses, including other applicants, customers or employees of HACLA (or its parent or affiliates).
Application and all required materials must be received no later than 4 PM on Friday, June 1, 2018.