About Section 8

Home Section 8

The Section 8 program is financed by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to provide rent subsidies in the form of housing assistance payments (HAP) to private Landlords on behalf of extremely low, very low-income individuals/families, senior citizens, and persons with disabilities.

For CY2021, HACLA paid more than $603 Million to private Landlords on behalf of more than 43,700 participant families. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the Landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. When a family selects a housing unit, and the HACLA approves the unit and lease, the family signs a lease with the Landlord for at least one year.

The role of the more than 13,400 private landlords in the HACLA’s S8 program is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. The unit must pass the program's housing quality standards and be maintained up to those standards as long as the Owner receives housing assistance payments.

If you are a current S8 Program Participant or Landlord, click Property Listings to access or list available units. 

The Section 8 Waiting List is closed until further notice.

Click here for other possible resources

Section 8 MyHousing

Current Section 8 participant families click here to complete your annual reexamination. 

Occupancy Standards

How does the Housing Authority determine the number of bedrooms on my voucher?

The Housing Authority counts the number of persons in your family when determining unit size. The Housing Authority does not make distinctions based on sex and age of family members, nor the relationship of persons in the family. The Housing Authority applies this same criteria and standard to all families.

How many bedrooms will I qualify for?

The Housing Authority has set the following Occupancy Standards for family and unit size:

Number of Family Members Bedrooms
1-2 1
3-4 2
5-6 3
7-8 4
9-10 5
11-12 6
What if I need an extra bedroom?

The Housing Authority can only approve an additional bedroom as a reasonable accommodation.

Can I select an apartment that is larger or smaller than the one determined by the Housing Authority?

Yes, provided it does not violate the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD's) Housing Quality Standards (HQS) space requirement. HUD's HQS space requirement allows two persons per room. The Housing Authority must always use the smaller of the voucher bedroom size or the actual unit size to determine the subsidy. Example: You have a 2-Bedroom Voucher. You have selected a 3-Bedroom unit. The 2-Bedroom Voucher Payment Standard (VPS) will be used to calculate your tenant portion of the rent.

If my family size increases, will the Housing Authority subsidize a larger apartment?

Each year the Housing Authority will review the unit size assigned to your family. If your current unit size is too small, the Housing Authority may give you a new Voucher.